Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ohio Driver's License for Laura

I put off this task since August when we moved here. In February, I finally went to the Dept of Motor Vehicles and wrote my written driver's test. This is something I had not done since I was 16 years old. I studied more this time because I had to keep converting the speed limits and measurements into miles and feet.

You are able to get 11 wrong and still pass - I got 5 wrong so I passed. One of the questions was about how long a suspension would be for not taking a breathalizer..24, 36, 72 or 96 hours. I still have no idea and don't plan to find out.

After the written test, I had to do a driving test with the state trooper. I passed the road test with only 2 sharp left turns. You are allowed to get 26 marks against you. I had 6. I was proud of my extra careful driving. Then, the maneuverability test ( I can hardly spell that!). I had to pull the card into a lane with pylons on each side and then pull to one side. The trooper then asked me to back up through the lane I just came through. I drove Brad's Toyota as I can see much easier in it for backing up. I thought I was clear and WHACK!!! I hit the pylon - therefore, I failed! I couldn't believe it. Twenty years after doing parallel parking, I failed my driving test. The really funny thing is - I was still able to drive home. I have a valid Ontario driver's license which is good here for at least one year. The following week, I went back and passed the test. Thank Goodness! It was one of the most embarrassing things to happen to me. Brad called me Crash for a day or so. All I promise everyone is that I won't park their car or at least not close to anything. I don' t mind the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment